This side event, organized by ITDP and ZEW, presents a vision for the decarbonization of the transport sector developed by the Paris Process on Mobility and Climate (PPMC), which counts with more than 200 organizations working on mobility and climate. It will highlight strategies for reaching the ambitious goals set out by the Paris Agreement, shed light on the economics of carbon pricing, and discuss with negotiators their national action plans to tackle sustainable mobility challenges.
The event will be broadcast live on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list= PL-m2oy1bnLzp5vQEdO1l4WWxwhAJpX7na
3:00 pm: Introduction
Setting the Stage and Providing the Framework for Decarbonization of Transport (Ramon Cruz, ITDP; Cornie Huizenga, SLOCAT)
3:20 pm :Panel Debate
Examples of Specific Strategies (Gregor Pawlowski, BlaBlaCar – Carpooling; Jean-François Gagné, International Energy Agency – Electromobility)
Providing Incentives (Kathrine von Graevenitz, Center for European Economic Research)
Perspectives from Negotiators and Member States (Marcel Beukeboom, Climate Envoy, Netherlands Climate Envoy, Marshall Islands (TBC); Pacifica Ogoka, Director, Climate Change Program, Kenya)
Debate with Audience Participation
- Marcel Beukeboom, Climate Envoy for the Kingdom of the Netherlands. Leadership in decarbonization of transport sector – the Dutch experience and NDCs.
- Ramon Cruz, International Policy Program Director, Institute for Transportation and Development Policy. Importance of the three revolutions in urban transport – automation, electrification and sharing – in order to reach the goal of 1.5 degrees.
- Cornie Huizenga, Secretary General, Partnership on Sustainable Low Carbon Transport (SLOCAT). An actionable vision of transport decarbonization: how to implement the Paris Agreement aiming at net-zero emissions in the transport sector.
- Dr. Martin Kesternich, Deputy Head, Environmental and Resource Economics; Environmental Management, Centre for European Economic Research (ZEW). Pricing carbon: Voluntary measures.
- Gregor Pawlowski, Country Manager, Blablacar Germany (www.blablacar.de). Blablacar is the world’s largest carpooling platform with more than 40 million members worldwide.
- Kathrine von Graevenitz, Coordinator of the Research Area Mobility, Department of Environmental and Resource Economics; Environmental Management, Center for European Economic Research (ZEW). Pricing carbon: Regulation.
- Pacifica Ogoka, Director, Climate Change Program, Coordination of National Action, Ministry of Environment, Kenya. The Kenyan experience and NDCs.
- Jean-François Gagné, Head of Energy Technology Policy Division, Directorate of Sustainability, Technology and Outlooks, International Energy Agency. How Electromobility supports decarbonisation of the transport sector.
Please see downloadable agenda here.
May 16, 2017
3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
Room Berlin, World Conference Centre Bonn
Ramon Cruz email@example.com