Growing the global market for the world’s most sustainable fuels
below50 is a global campaign that brings together companies and organizations who commit to growing the global market for the world’s most sustainable fuels. It connects the entire value-chain for sustainable fuels that produce at least 50% less CO2 emissions than conventional fossil fuels. The goal is to create the demand and market for these fuels to scale up their deployment.
below50 aims to create demand for sustainable fuels, scale up deployment and increase the number of companies choosing below50 fuels by:
- Creating intersectoral B2B opportunities across supply chains.
- Engaging with investors and financiers to map investment barriers and develop de-risking mechanisms.
- Addressing legislative and financial barriers to sourcing below50 fuels.
Partners and Signatories
The core partner of below50 is the World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD). In addition, below50 has 35 supporters including low-carbon fuels producers and consumers and research and development organizations.
Relevance to advance the Paris Agreement goals
Growing the market for low carbon fuels in transport directly reduces the growth in greenhouse gas emissions from transport operations.
Activities of the Initiative
Outreach and coalition building:
below50 advocates for low-carbon fuels by:
- Developing clear messages for policymakers.
- Participating in regional dialogues to establish long-term targets, incentives and policy frameworks.
- Promoting public-private partnerships and joint initiatives.
- Publishing reports on progress, policy recommendations, pilot projects and best practices.
- Supporting the establishment of regional hubs – to date below50 has established 4 hubs in Australia, Brazil, Europe and the USA.
- below50 amplifies the efforts of supporters on its communications platforms and has run a communications campaign in 2018 to showcase their work.
- below50 supports regional hubs by co-hosting events to support the development of low-carbon fuels.
Policy-making and implementation:
- In 2018 the below50 campaign developed a web-based policy tool, offering insights into policy dos and don’ts to enable uptake of low-carbon fuels.
- below50 supports regional hubs in communicating with the right stake holders. For example, below50 members in collaboration with CEBDS submitted a letter of support for the RenovaBio program to the Brazilian government.
Damiana Serafini (Serafini@wbcsd.org), World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD)